Tonight we had zucchini boats made with tomatoes fresh from the garden, and zucchinis that I bought at the farmer’s market last week.
2 cups of chopped tomatoes
4 zucchinis with ends trimmed
1/2 tbsp thyme
1/2 tbsp oregano
1/2 cup grated cheese
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- cut the zucchini length-wise and use a small spoon to hollow out the flesh.
- Place the zucchinis on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with garlic powder
- chop the insides of the zucchinis into small pieces – about the same size as the tomatoes
- heat a small amount of oil in a medium skillet
- add the tomatoes, chopped zucchini, salt, and pepper to the hot pan and let cook until soft and liquid-y
- add the herbs to the pan. You can use dried or fresh.
- spoon the mixture into the prepared “boats”
- cover with grated cheese, and place in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and brown on the edges
These guys are yummy, warm, and filling. They come together fast, and for very little money and effort. Definitely a go-to weeknight meal!!
What’s your favourite cheap-and-cheerful go-to meal??
P.S. I’m participating in Foodbuzz’s Project Food Blog 2010. Please visit http://www.foodbuzz.com/project_food_blog/challenges/1/view/222 to view my first entry and vote for me!!!